1. Preparing the Dough for Apple Pie
When it comes to making a classic double crust apple pie, the first step is preparing the dough. Here are a few different ways to create the perfect pie crust:
- Traditional Method: In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 cup of cold unsalted butter. Use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together. Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Shortcut Method: If you’re short on time, you can use store-bought pie crusts. Simply follow the package instructions for rolling out the dough and proceed with the recipe.
- Butter and Lard Method: For an extra flaky crust, consider using a combination of butter and lard. Follow the traditional method, but replace half of the butter with cold lard.
2. Preparing the Filling
Now that the dough is ready, it’s time to prepare the apple filling. Here’s how:
- Choosing the Right Apples: Look for firm, tart apples such as Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Braeburn. Avoid using apples that are overly sweet or soft.
- Peeling and Slicing: Peel and core the apples, then slice them into thin, even slices. Toss the slices with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Add Flavor: In a separate bowl, combine ¾ cup of granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Mix well, then add the mixture to the sliced apples. Toss until the apples are coated.
3. Assembling and Baking the Pie
With the dough and filling ready, it’s time to assemble and bake the pie:
- Rolling Out the Dough: On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of dough into a circle large enough to fit your pie dish. Transfer the dough to the dish and gently press it into the bottom and sides.
- Adding the Filling: Pour the apple filling into the pie dish, spreading it evenly.
- Top Crust: Roll out the second disk of dough and place it over the filling. Trim any excess dough and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
- Ventilation: Cut slits or create decorative designs on the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Baking: Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips, then bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
Now that you know the different ways to make a classic double crust apple pie, it’s time to gather your ingredients and start baking. Enjoy the delicious aroma and taste of homemade apple pie!